Booking Terms and Conditions
1. All bookings are made with The Big Journey Company Limited Registered Company, Number 6532140 (hereinafter referred to as the Company) whose registered office is Marron Bank, Branthwaite, Cumbria, CA14 4SZ, United Kingdom.
2. The Company holds an Air Travel Organiser’s Licence (ATOL), licence No. 7282. For full information about financial protection and the ATOL Certificate go to www.atol.org.uk/ATOLCertificate.
3. The terms and conditions of all agreements made with the Company shall be subject to, and governed by, English Law alone. Any disputes or claims are to be decided by the English courts, and subject to English Law alone.
4. Deposits are due at the time of booking and must arrive as cleared funds within 2 weeks of booking or the booking will be cancelled. The remaining balance is due 14 weeks before departure. Failure to pay the balance on time may result in your holiday being cancelled without notice. Suppliers may withdraw their services if they are not paid on time. The Company will not accept any responsibility if it is unable to deliver your holiday due to none payment of your balance.
5. It is important to be aware that once your deposits are paid, should you wish to cancel at any time thereafter, the deposits are non-refundable. In addition the cancellation penalties detailed below will be applied. It is strongly recommended that you have suitable cancellation insurance coverage from the time of booking.
6. Cancellation of bookings must be notified in writing to The Big Journey Company Ltd, Marron Bank, Branthwaite, Cumbria, CA14 4SZ, United Kingdom or by email to email@example.com. Cancellation charges are set out below, based on the date of receipt of written notification: More than 12 weeks prior to departure: Loss of Deposit and any additional costs paid in advance by The Company. Less than 12 weeks prior to departure: 100% loss. No commission is paid on cancellations.
7. We reserve the right to cancel any trip which does not have sufficient people taking part to make it financially viable. If a trip is likely to be cancelled under such circumstances, we undertake to inform you as soon as possible, but this may occur after final balances have been taken but will not occur less than 30 days before the departure date.
8. Cancellation of a trip by the Company will entitle you to a refund of the fees paid to the Company for your trip, unless cancellation has been forced by unforeseen government intervention in which case actual costs incurred by the Company will be subtracted from any refund due. No other compensation will be allowable.
9. Whilst every effort will be made to adhere to the planned itinerary, it must be realised that changes to the itinerary may occur for which the Company accepts no responsibility, however caused. The Company will make every effort to inform you of any change, as we know of each change before departure. Your final itinerary may differ in respect of the places where you stay overnight. In particular it may be necessary to alter your itinerary at short notice due to adverse weather, force majeure, road conditions, or to operating conditions imposed by owners and operators of accommodation, facilities, aircraft, vessels and other forms of transport. Should such conditions involve clients in extra costs such as accommodation, transportation and meals, such costs should be borne by the client.
10. International flights are in the main on scheduled national carriers. Flight details will be sent to you within one month of your departure or earlier if possible.
11. We hold an Air Travel Organiser’s Licence granted by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). The Company’s ATOL number is ATOL 7282. When you buy an ATOL protected fight or flight inclusive trip from the Company you will receive an ATOL Certificate. This lists what is financially protected, where you can get information on what this means for you and who to contact if things go wrong.
12. We, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL Certificate, will provide you with the services listed on the ATOL Certificate (or a suitable alternative). In some cases, where neither we nor the supplier are able to do so for reasons of insolvency, an alternative ATOL holder may provide you with the services you have bought or a suitable alternative (at no extra cost to you). You agree to accept that in those circumstances the alternative ATOL holder will perform those obligations and you agree to pay any money outstanding to be paid by you under your contract to that alternative ATOL holder. However, you also agree that in some cases it will not be possible to appoint an alternative ATOL holder, in which case you will be entitled to make a claim under the ATOL scheme (or your credit card issuer where applicable).
13. If we, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL certificate (if any), are unable to provide the services listed (or a suitable alternative, through an alternative ATOL holder or otherwise) for reasons of insolvency, the Trustees of the Air Travel Trust may make a payment to (or confer a benefit on) you under the ATOL scheme. You agree that in return for such a payment or benefit you assign absolutely to those Trustees any claims which you have or may have arising out of or relating to the non-provision of the services, including any claim against us, the travel agent (or your credit card issuer where applicable). You also agree that any such claims may be re-assigned to another body, if that other body has paid sums you have claimed under the ATOL scheme.
14. If you book to join a trip on a ‘land only’ basis, the Company cannot accept any responsibility for any of the travel arrangements that you make in order to join that trip. The Company accepts no financial liability that may arise from any enforced change to your travel plans due to any alteration of the trip dates, the itinerary or its cancellation, howsoever caused. You are advised to book transferable, refundable travel tickets with no penalties should a cancellation be necessary. Transfers to and from the destination airport and the first and last hotel included as stated in the individual itinerary.
15. The Company cannot be held responsible for any missed connecting transport that you have booked independently of the Company.
16. If you have any complaints whilst on holiday, you must immediately inform your tour leader or our overseas representative who will use all reasonable efforts to remedy it. If you remain dissatisfied, you must make full details of the complaint known to us in writing within 14 days of the end of your holiday. If you fail to follow this simple complaints procedure, your right to claim the compensation you may otherwise have been entitled to may be effected or even lost as a result.
17. Our Leaders will do their utmost to ensure that any problems are solved for the benefit of the group as a whole. Making a booking with The Company signifies your acceptance of the Leader’s authority to make decisions affecting the group or individuals. For instance, he/she may require an individual to leave the group if he/she believes that person’s health is at risk, inadequate fitness, if an illegal act is committed, or their behaviour becomes detrimental to the safety, enjoyment or well-being of the group. Should the Leader take such action, that person would not be entitled to any refund. The Company may cancel your booking at any time with immediate effect by giving you written notice (which includes notice by email) if you break the contract between us in any material way; if we believe that your behaviour will be detrimental to the safety, enjoyment or well-being of the group.
18. The company reserves the right to change the advertised trip leader. For departures small numbers of people we reserve the right to use an English speaking local trip leader.
19. You must understand that some of The Company’s trips involve going to high-altitude and carry an inherent risk of altitude illness. Likewise some of The Company’s trips visit remote locations with limited infrastructures where the risks to health are increased and the ability to treat injury or illness effectively is reduced.
20. Neither the Company nor any of their representatives will be responsible for any illness, injury or death sustained on their trip except where such illness, injury or death is caused by negligence or that of their representatives, nor will they be liable for any uninsured loss of personal property.
21. The Company cannot be made liable for the consequences of strikes, industrial action, wars, riots, sickness, quarantine, government intervention, weather conditions, or other untoward occurrences.
22. It is your (The Client) responsibility to ensure you are covered by adequate insurance for the complete duration of the trip. Your insurance should include but not be limited: cancellation, medical expenses, injury, death, cost of repatriation. If in the event of an emergency medical rescue or evacuation from a trip of you the client, either by foot, helicopter or otherwise, the responsibility for the payment of such costs will lie with the client. Any subsequent costs for expenses such as hotels, food, transport etc shall be borne by the client. It is imperative that the client ensures adequate insurance is in place before departure.
23. Only a Director of The Company is authorised to promise refunds or additional services for whatever reason, and the Company will not be bound by any such promise.
24. A client leaving a trip at any stage, for whatever reason, will not be entitled to any refund or compensation unless agreed by the Director of The Company.
25. All prices we advertise are accurate at the date published, but we reserve the right to change any of those prices from time to time. Prices include a cost for fuel that was estimated at the date of this publication. We reserve the right to add a fuel supplement to holiday prices should this increase after the date of this publication.
We reserve the right to increase the price of your holiday after you have booked but no later than 30 days before the departure date stipulated and will forward an Amendment Invoice reflecting any changes made. After a Booking Invoice has been sent to you, any increase to your holiday price will be as the result of changes in our costs of supplying your holiday resulting from transportation charges, (fuel, airport charges, scheduled air fares and other transport charges which form part of our contract with the transport provider), currency fluctuations and government action. An administration charge and any relevant travel agent’s commission is included within these amounts.
If the increase would be 2% or less of the holiday price shown on your Booking Invoice, we will absorb the changes in our costs described above and will only pass on any increase above that level. If the increase is more than 10% of the holiday price (calculated as above), then:
1. You may cancel your holiday booking within 14 days of the Amendment Invoice date and receive a refund of all monies paid to us except any amendment charges; or
2. Transfer your monies paid to an alternative holiday offered by The Big Journey Company.
We reserve the right to cancel your booking and/or take legal action against you for all outstanding payment(s).
26. Any air travel that is part of any trip is subject to the conditions as stipulated by the airline concerned.
27. If the UK Foreign Office does not issue advice against all travel to your destination, and you decide not to travel on the basis of a perceived threat or hazard, howsoever formed, this will be interpreted as a voluntary cancellation and cancellation charges will be levied on that basis.
28. Non-UK Nationals should consult their own government for advice on travel to the destination country and all countries transited en route. The Company will however be governed by advice from the UK Foreign Office.
29. By making a booking and agreeing to these booking conditions, you consent to the Company’s staff and personnel taking photographs and/or video footage of you and your family members and guests during the trip and that these images may be used and displayed by the Company and their subsidiaries and partners, royalty-free and in perpetuity, for publicity, sales, marketing and/or training purposes including, but not limited to, in brochures, social media, websites material and in the media. Photos and video footage supplied by you or other team members may also be used as described above.
30. On the advancement of deposit for a booking on any of our tours the company assumes the client has read and understands the above booking conditions and agrees to be bound by them.
V2.1 Last revised July 2016